At the Hadrian Hotel

At the Hadrian Hotel

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

10,000 Hits!

I've been writing in this blog, on and off, since October 2005. Shortly after I started blogging, I decided that I just had to have a hit counter. I looked around and found a bunch of them. Unfortunately, many of them required that they be installed on the hosting server. Now, since my blog is hosted at blogspot.com none of these were going to work. Of those that didn't need to be on the hosting server, I decided on BS Counter by Brian Stanback. It was written in perl (which I understood) and was relatively easy to customize.

By default BS Counter would either count every hit from every source address or only count unique addresses once, ever. Well, I wanted something a little different — I wanted to count unique addresses by day. So, if you checked out my blog once, twice or even 30 times on a single day (based on US Eastern Time, GMT-5 or GMT-4 in the summer) it would show up as one hit. If you came back from the same host the next day, you'd get counted again. This seemed reasonable to me, but of course your milage may vary.

So, given how I count hits it's taken me a while to get to that elusive 10,000 mark. But it happened this morning from the host user-38q40ms.cable.mindspring.com. I have no idea who you are, but it looks like you are an EarthLink subscriber, possibly a former subscriber of "The Grid" which appears to be based in Atlanta, Georgia. Whoever you are, thanks for taking my blog "over the top."

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: